Tuesday, June 22, 2010

O'Donoghue takes UCD reins

Rory O'Donoghue was confirmed yesterday as UCD men’s new coach for the 2010/11 coming season, making the switch from Monkstown during a stint in which he secured automatic IHL qualification three years in a row as well as two Irish Senior Cup final appearances.

O'Donoghue replaces John McInroy who returns South Africa. A spokesman for the club said of the appointment: "We are delighted to welcome Rory to the club. He brings with him a huge amount of playing and coaching success at this level as well as the knowledge of how to develop young players after his time with Monkstown and as Leinster U-18 coach. We look forward to a very successful period with Rory"

Rory said of his own appointment "I am very pleased and excited about my appointment as UCD’s Men's Hockey Coach. I have just finished three years coaching Monkstown first Team and I really enjoyed working with them.

“I hope that the experience I have gained both as a player and a coach at the highest level will be able to bring UCD hockey to the next level following on from the great foundation laid down by my predecessor John McInroy.

“It is my ambition to make UCD a centre of excellence for hockey and I have no doubt that with the excellent facilities that are at my disposal there that this is a realistic objective.

“I intend to use the high performance training facility to optimise the strength of talent that exists there at present and the talented players that are due to arrive this season. As a coach I believe in striving to be the best you can be without fear of failure and I am really looking forward to the challenge of making UCD an elite Hockey club.”

No comments: