Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wong rescues point for Railway

Men's Division One:
Railway Union 2 (Peter English, Kevin Wong) Fingal 2 (Brian Gray, Eamon Bane)
Railway struck late for what could prove an invaluable draw in the race to escape ninth place in the league standings, Kevin Wong's slightly deflected shot two minutes from time garnering a point at Park Avenue. Brian Gray had given Fingal the lead in the fifth minute, rolling home a reverse after Tom Manning's auto-pass move created the space.

Peter English equalised before half-time with a drag-flick from a corner earned by Paul O'Brien - a lively presence on his return to action after a knee injury, winning three corners in the first half. Eamon Bane nudged the ball over the line to restore Fingal's lead in the second half but Railway piled on some late pressure and got their reward when Wong broke a tackle on the right of the circle and struck firmly to the back post only for a defender's stick to deflect past Nigel Grothier.

Men's Division Two:
Weston 0 Avoca 0
Neither Weston nor Avoca were able to enhance their prospects of claiming the division two title, tying 0-0 at Griffeen Valley Park. Shane O'Hare went closest to breaking the deadlock, fizzing over the bar while Avoca had a couple of decent opportunities which went unconverted. Weston edged the corner count 3-2 but the big winners were Suttonians who stay two points clear at the top despite not being in league action. Their two fixtures with Weston will be crucial in the title race.

Navan 3 (Ruairi Clarke, Simon McKeever, Alan Davis) Bray 2 (Simon Cox 2)
Alan Davis nicked all three points for the Navan Badgers inside the last ten minutes at King’s Hospital to see the Meath side leap-frog Bray and move off the bottom of division two. They came flying out of the blocks with Ruairi Clarke hammering home from close range in the first minute. Keith Howell nearly doubled the lead soon after, deflecting onto the crossbar.

Bray settled into the tie and created a few chances of their own but Emmet Moore saves maintained Navan’s 1-0 lead until half time. Simon Cox, though, deflected nicely into the roof of the net to equaliser from one of a string of corners early in the second half. Simon McKeever restored Navan’s lead with 15 minutes to go only for Cox to nab a carbon copy of his first goal soon after to make it 2-2. But Davis had the final say, cracking in off the post from Chris Booth’s assist to take the points.

* For more of John Doyle's photos from Navan vs Bray, click here


Anonymous said...

is anybody else astounded that a blog entry that contains info about Div 2 teams has got no comments!! Never thought i'd see the day!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the badgers are hibernating?

Badger no. 66

Anonymous said...

Avoca - Weston game was a craicer!

Anonymous said...

hardly a craicer. a lot of moaning at the umpires