Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fry cooks up breakthrough win for YMCA

YMCA's progression continues apace as they dumped Cork Harlequins out of the Irish Senior Cup as veteran Mikey Fry grabbed the golden goal that earned a second round tie in Kilkeel in two weeks time.

The Y have been threatening a big result for much of the season, pushing Pembroke all the way, tying with Glenanne 3-3, as well as threatening the top five. At Alexandra College, over the course of a cagey, battling 77 minutes, the Dubliners just edged IHL opposition though a litany of missed corners meant they might have had the tie wrapped up inside the regular distance.

Nine corners slipped through their fingers as Quins took their time to settle into the tie. Reinout Mensink, aided by the excellent Jason Black, combined to keep the sheet clean, though, and when Mark Black began to spray the passes in the second half, the Cork side showed more attacking promise.

Indeed, three corners in normal time could have nicked a fascinating tie while Todd Gill shone bright in a top drawer defensive unit to limit clear chances. Quins had first dig in extra-time, though, Dan Hobbs fizzing a flick just by the post barely 60 seconds into time added on.

But Fry - along with Will Powderly, one of the survivors of the 2001 final run - settled it, pouncing after Jacob Webber's shot ricocheted off the frame of the goal in the 77th minute.

Monkstown went a step further in the tension stakes as they eventually fought off a spirited UCD on sudden death penalty strokes. The Town appeared to be cruising with eight minutes to go, leading 3-1 courtesy of Andy Ewington's corner double and a sweet reverse strike from Gareth Watkins in the 20th minute.

Robbie McFarlane, though, had scrambled an early corner rebound to level at 1-1 and, after Gavin O'Halloran had served time for a yellow card, UCD launched a thrilling comeback.

McFarlane smashed in after David Quinn's initial shot to make it a grandstand finish with seven minutes to go and the striker earned and scored the corner on the final hooter to complete his hat-trick. He deflected a corner routine to force extra-time.

Brian Groves and Quinn both sat out part of extra-time as the Town won a series of corners in extra-time but no goals meant strokes. Five strokes left the sides still inseparable at 3-3 but Alec Barrett showed the ice cool nerve to beat Ross Gribben while David Fitzgerald denied John McInroy - his nemesis earlier with an incredible point blank save from a diving deflection - to send Monkstown through.

Elsewhere, results followed the form guide as Corinthian managed to escape Railway's clutches with Chris Pelow the scorer in chief. Three Rock were scarcely troubled by Bandon, leading 1-0 at the break from Sven Galjaardt's corner. Mick Maguire added a thunderbolt reverse while Ross Canning and Peter Blakeney shared scorer and creator roles for goals three and four.

Holders Pembroke notched up yet another double figures win. This time it was 14 and the opponent Bangor; Alan Sothern scoring a half-dozen. Clontarf came unstuck in Cork against C of I with Richie Dorman rolling back the years with a double. At the opposite end of the experience spectrum, Nick Burns matched that feat while Rob Abbott got a consolation goal and the Bulls were unlucky not to add a few more, pinging the bar and post. Banbridge won the only tie not involving Leinster teams, disposing of North Down 7-2.

The round two draw threw up a wealth of fascinating ties but the standout tie, as always, is Pembroke's fixture with Glenanne to be played on January 30. Fingal get yet another chance to end their Garvey hoodoo. They meet for the fourth time in six years and the ALSAA men have never won in eight attempts in total.

Corinthian will be grateful of home-field advantage in what could be a seminal moment for Andrew Cronje's team against Cork C of I. Three Rock stay at Grange Road for their tie against Cookstown in another of four all-IHL ties - the final one being the Ulster derby between Instonians and Banbridge.

YM's reward is a tricky tie on the sand in Kilkeel while Monkstown have the longest trip as they go to Donegal to play Raphoe.

Irish Senior Cup - round one results:
YMCA 1 (Mikey Fry) Cork Harlequins 0, after golden goal; Three Rock Rovers 4 (Sven Galjaardt, Michael Maguire, Peter Blakeney, Ross Canning) Bandon 0; Pembroke 14 (Alan Sothern 6, Justin Sherriff 3, Conor Harte, Andy McConnell, Timmy Lewis, Michael O'Connor, Craig Fulton) Bangor 0; UCD 3 (Robbie McFarlane 3) Monkstown 3 (Andy Ewington 2, Gareth Watkins), Monkstown win 4-3 on sudden death penalty strokes; Railway Union 1 (Peter English) Corinthian 3 (Chris Pelow 2, Darren Kimfley); Cork C of I 6 (Richie Dorman 2, Nick Burns 2, John Jermyn, Stephen Parker) Clontarf 1 (Rob Abbott); Banbridge 7 (Ross McCandless 3, Dane Ward, Stephen Dowds, Simon Magowan, Colin Dowds) North Down 2 (Mark Forrest, Scott Caruth)

Irish Senior Cup - round two draw (January 30)
Corinthian vs Cork C of I; Pembroke vs Glenanne; Raphoe vs Monkstown; Mossley vs Annadale; Three Rock Rovers vs Cookstown; Fingal vs Lisnagarvey; Kilkeel vs YMCA; Instonians vs Banbridge

* Amazing stuff from the Irish Hockey Photogrpahers today. To see more photos from UCD vs Monkstown from Adrian Boehm, click here and Deryck Vincent, click here. For Adrian Boehm's pictures from YMCA vs Cork Harlequins, click here. For pics from Three Rock Rovers vs Bandon from Deryck Vincent, click here, for Emer Keogh's set of photos, click here and for a few more photos, click here.


Anonymous said...

Winners of 2nd round:

Anonymous said...

UCD v monkstown. What a great contest ! I told you the students were up for it !!

Anonymous said...

why are 2or3 photographers going to the same games as opposed to covering as many differemt games as possible??

Stephen Findlater said...

6.14PM - Photographers supply their work on an amateur basis (though if you want to purchase high resolution versions or prints I'm sure they will oblige you in some way) and so will fit in the games they can get to each weekend depending on their schedules.

We do discuss which would be preferable to cover with the matches at YM and UCD the ones this week. As such, Deryck covered normal time of the UCD game before heading up to Three Rock.

Adrian was at the YM game and then made it to Belfield to cover the Loreto ISC semi-final. As the men's semi-final ran late, he took a few snaps of the shoot-out.

As for the multiple sets from Three Rock, a number of club members take pics up there most weeks.

Hope this explains why there is a couple of extra sets this week. Indeed, there were far more sets of photos received in my inbox yesterday afternoon with action shots from six games in total.

Anonymous said...

the photographers are outstanding and do a great job. Could the moaners all cop on and give praise where its due to Stephen and the photographers

Anonymous said...


Alan Good said...

6.14pm: It should also be noted that on national cup weekends, Adrian and Deryck also try to accommodate Southern Fried in games where Munster teams are involved. As Stephen indicated, we do all discuss this during the week to try ensure as much as possible gets covered.

Anonymous said...

When 6.14 starts taking photos or supplying copy then he/she is entitled to make such a comment. Otherwise save your fingers for doodling man.
Steve et al you do a great job .
Just look at all the coverage this weekend. Take a bow and thanks to all involved.

Anonymous said...

would never deny the hook the great work that they do - the hook is a fantastic website and a credit to those running it. seriosuly! was just curious as to what the story was with the wkend gone by.
thanks for clearing that up steve!